Thursday 15 November 2007

Pretty in pink, isn't she?

You know, I don't think I know a single other song by The Psychadelic Furs.

Anyway, I am very proud of myself for having finished the pink cashmere hat I started earlier in the week. That must be a record, for me anyway, for the minimum time between the purchase of the yarn on Saturday from Fluffenstuff at Stitch & Bitch Day, to an actual finished object. Just in time too, as it was viciously cold today, but my head was warm and snuggly in the hat. Attempting to take photographs of my own head was also a welcome distraction from waiting for the train on the frosty platform this morning. My fellow commuters ignored me determinedly.


The pattern is the Unoriginal Hat by the Yarn Harlot, modded because my yarn was less bulky than hers. I therefore added another cable section (making five round not four), a few rib rows round the bottom, and a half-sized cable repeat at the top. The hat is lovely and squishy, although does remind me slightly of brains.

I am calling this my Ice Cream Hat as the colourway (Raspberries & Chocolate) really does look like melted, swirled Neapolitan ice cream. The photo below shows off slightly better the brown and cream variegations in the pink background. Yummy!


I was waiting on the cold, exposed London Overground platform (as we are now supposed to call the bits of suburban railway round here since they were taken over and rebranded by LUL at the weekend; we are stripy orange on the new tube map!) as I was off to a conference here:


That's Lord's Cricket Ground, aka "The Home of Cricket". I have no particular love of the game, apart from the pleasant murmur of the commentary on Radio 4 longwave, the only thing that could be picked up on family holidays in the French countryside when I was younger. However I do think the media centre (the UFO-like pod hovering over the pitch) is quite fun, especially given the part of Life, the Universe and Everything that is set at Lord's, but no Chesterfield sofas in sight today thankfully.

3 comments:

KnittingJenny said...

Lucy, I really love your ice cream hat. And I'm really impressed how you bought the yarn and knit it up so fast. Wish I could do that.

NikolaAnne said...

I love the Ice Cream hat as well... but then, I would.

It makes me so happy to see my yarns become projects, I dye too much to knit it all myself, so seeing how it inspires other people to knit it, just makes me all warm inside.

Can't wait to see what you do with the Fluorite. Trippingyarns has started a branching out from Knitty, and it is looking mighty fine!

Thank you for Spreading the Love.

Nikki
http://www.fluffenstuff.co.uk

Ginger Lucy said...

Hi Nikki, nice to hear from you. We LOVED your stall at S&B Day! Fluorite is waiting until after the Christmas knitting rush, but I'll let you know what I make!